fbpx

Why measure your indoor humidity?

Posted · Add Comment

High humidity levels in your indoor environment are a common culprit for moisture and mold problems in your home.

When warm humid air lands on a cool surface, the moisture in the air condenses into liquid water on the surface material. When the cool surface is your summertime ice tea glass, your glass gets wet. When the cool surface is in your basement or attic or on your window panes, those surfaces get wet. Moist, damp conditions lead to mold and bacteria growth, as well as increase the risk of insect and other pest problems.

Keeping your relative humidity (RH) at or below 60% will go a long way towards preventing moisture from condensing on cold surfaces in your home. Measure your RH frequently, particularly in the summer months. Dehumidfy spaces that consistently have an RH higher than 60%. For more information on preventing mold and moisture problems in your home, visit the website of the Maine Indoor Air Quality Council at www.maineindoorair.org.

Learn more:

https://maineindoorair.org/mold/From the Maine Indoor Air Quality Council: About Mold

From the U.S. EPA: Care for your air: A guide to indoor air quality

From IAQ Scientific Findings Resource Bank: Humidity and Dust Mite Allergies

Comments are closed.

 
 
Join Our Mailing List

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Sign Up for The Informer

Sign Up for The Informer

Receive the quarterly newsletter of the Maine Indoor Air Quality Council

You have Successfully Subscribed!